Friday, May 18, 2007

Pondering #2

What are the things that are absolutely essential in your life and how do you simplify and purify your perspective?


Absolutely essential...those are definitely defining words that causes one to really look inside and dig deep into their soul. As I have pondered I have realized that often times in our human world we categorize those things with little importance such as: favorite TV shows, shopping trips, or a blog of a friend of a friend as "absolutely essential", of which I am guilty. I have found myself many times rearranging my schedule to fit in a TV show or not taking advantage of toddler play time to finish a sink full of dishes and somehow rationalizing that it is "absolutely essential" that I do so. However, as I have pondered this past week about where I have drawn the line in my life and what things I truly consider as absolutely essential I have realized that it really boils down to two things, the gospel and my loved ones. I have seen that when my focus is on the real essential things in my life that every thing else falls into the proper place and proper perspective. However, I must admit that it is easier said than done because those things that are essential require energy whereas those not so important things require nothing but zoning out.
It has been interesting this week as I have thought about the concept of energy as it relates to the essential things of life because the greatest lesson was taught to me by my almost 2-year-old. As I was watching him shoot hoops the other day I was amazed at how he just kept going and the common thought came to my mind, "oh, if only I could have that much energy," to which quickly followed, "we all do, just for different things." As I continued to think about that I realized that the reason why he kept going and going is because he loves it, he thrives on it, where as for me, I don't find quite the enjoyment out of a plastic basketball hoop and a rubber ball. However, if it is taking pictures, searching for the right easter outfit for Cade, or finishing a project for a loved one I have all the energy I need to keep going. Which brings us back to the "absolutely essential" things in life. Many times the things that we have the most energy for are the things we mistakenly categorize as essential, for example: how many of us can recite the names, plot, details, and location of our favorite TV show but in the same breath cannot recall the sequence of events in the Book of Mormon? Once again, I am guilty. But can you imagine how amazing life would be if we put the time into not only recognizing the need to rearrange our priorities but actually placing the things that are absolutely essential into the correct category and truly finding a love and a passion for them. Can you imagine the energy that would come and the things that would happen as we were able to keep going? Can you imagine the difference we could make in the world and most importantly our families? Can you imagine the immense payoff we would receive for the time it would take to reevaluate and rearrange?
So, back to the simple question, what are the things that are absolutely essential in my life? I would have to respond, the gospel and my loved ones. I am continually reevaluating and rearranging my perspective so that my actions align with my words and desires. And secondly, how do I simplify and purify my perspective? It is a journey, one that never ends because this life is all about learning how to simplify and purify in every season of life. I have found great solace and direction in my "hour of pondering." I cherish the time that Cade naps, that is the time that is all about the inside me. I am not only able to shower, hallelujah, but that is when I reminisce past memories, evaluate actions, determine to become better, think of my family, and ponder those things that are absolutely essential and how I can make a difference. I have a few quiet moments to ponder my scriptures and pray uninterrupted. That is how I simplify and purify my life in the season that I am in.
So, in closing of my long journey, I encourage everyone to dig deep, find what is absolutely essential in your life and ask yourself if you have the energy to keep going with it. And if not, how can you get it? Can you imagine....

2 comments:

Clarissa Meegan said...

Lace, this was really good for me to read. I think I often forget the perspective that I should be keeping--and when I remember what matters the most, I'm ashamed of myself. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I enjoy thinking about your questions throughout the week...even if I haven't gotten a chance to answer any of them. Keep them coming!

Anonymous said...

Good perspective Dolly...it appears as if you're becoming an adult...(which is something I have tried to avoid for myself!!!)...keep up the good work...you're on the right track