Friday, May 25, 2007

My Favorite Birthday


So I must admit...I forgot that it is Friday which means I need to post an answer to my own question. Haha, I have thought about my favorite birthday memory all week and come Friday it just slipped my mind...welcome to motherhood! I had a wonderful childhood full of fun birthday memories such as crazy hair parties, slumber parties, and birthday dinners. I have always loved my birthday and all the festivities that it involves, however I think that my very favorite birthday memory is the first one celebrated by Cade, the day he entered this world.
I loved being pregnant, I loved everything it encompassed...the tummy, the kicks, the hiccups in the middle of the night, having a reason to convince Jared to give me a back rub, the constant hunt for cute non-maternity clothes, rubbing my tummy, having others rub my tummy...but I think more than all of that I loved giving birth. I know, I am crazy, but I loved it...I wasn't so fond of the recovery but even that wasn't THAT bad.
Jared had a conference that he had to attend 2 weeks before Cade was due and after the doctors okay he took off for the 3 day symposium. I decided to spend the weekend with my grandma. We spent Friday evening shopping, talking, and day dreaming about the day the baby would come. After a short walk and a movie I headed to bed, only to be awoken by a "tummy ache" at 4:oo am. I made several trips to the bathroom and tossed and turned for about 2 hours, thinking that I had eaten something that just didn't sit right. Once I noticed that my pains were coming about 10 minutes apart I decided to call Jared in tears. He calmed my fears and told me to just relax and try to get some sleep, "don't worry, the baby isn't supposed to be here for another 2 weeks and he promised me he would wait for me to get home" he said. I decided to take his advice and try and get some rest but that lasted about an hour before I had had it! I woke my grandma up to ask her what labor felt like to which she responded, "oh Lacey, don't do this to me." I laughed and we proceeded to read articles about stages of labor, called the doctor who told me to stay home for a while longer so I settled in and tried to ignore the pains for the day. After several movies, a little rest, and a "salon style" hair washing in the sink I had reached the point of no return and my grandma and I started the 45 minute drive to the hospital.
Once we had finally reached the hospital, at about 9:00 pm, I found out that I was dialated to a 4 and 90% effaced and therefore very politely yet very urgently asked for my epidural. As soon as Jared found out what was happening at home he frantically tried to make it back and soon word spread like wild fire. My sweet mother-in-law and sister-in-law were the first to get word and come to my side. As the epidural was settling in and I was feeling WONDERFUL my room got a little bit fuller with 3 more sister-in-laws, 2 brother-in-laws, my father-in-law, a few more nurses and my sweet husband on the phone. I was able to rest a little bit until about 4:00 am when I started pushing and by 4:38 am my dear little Cade began his journey on this earth at 7 lbs 8 oz and 19 inches long. It was so exciting, so thrilling, so empowering, so spiritual to be involved in the birth of a child. I was so happy to have my little one here and here healthy and safe.
After a few hours of "post birth" stuff I made it to my room with my little bundle and before I knew it my sweet Jared came running through the door to meet his new little son. It is such an honor to have this little man in my life and has been from the first moment that I found out I was going to be a mom. I love birthdays, I love celebrations, but my favorite birthday memory was the day that our little one entered this world.

5 comments:

Alli said...

That's so sweet, Lace. What a wonderful experience. I can't even imagine. It makes me want to have a baby!

{B}dreamy said...

Lace, you have won the M.S.P. (most sweet person) award!!! Seriously, everything you say and do is always the sweetest. And "ain't love the sweetest thi-ing?" :)

{B}dreamy said...

PS- I can't imagine going through that without my hub! You're amazing but how lucky you are to have such a wonderful and supportive family near-by.

When I found out I was going to have Will by C-section, my mother-in-law offered to be there first thing (as she has flight privileges, etc.) because my mom's flight wasn't due for another week or two! I just love families, don't you? Of course you do, just look who I'm talking to!

Tiffany said...

I couldn't have done it without Tyler! I can't believe you did that without Jared. Better make sure he doesn't have any business trips next time! Who was with you while you were pushing???

Anonymous said...

What wonderful memories you bring back. That was one of the happiest days of my life helping you to bring in such a sweet and wonderful little guy. I shall never forget what a priveledge it was to help you and be with you and be your coach. I love you.
GM