Friday, June 8, 2007

Pondering Response


I have always loved this picture of the 10 virgins. My grandma Joyce had this picture hanging in the hall by her front door when I was a little girl and I can remember countless times that I would look at the picture on the way out and think, "which one would I be?" As I have prepared my lesson for Relief Society this week and pondered on our question I have taken a wonderful journey into my soul. I have learned a great deal about being prepared and how it is that I can help my family become not only prepared but Completely prepared. I have come to learn that the parable of the 10 virgins is not about good and bad, righteous and unrighteous, followers and unbelievers, but it is about those that are prepared and completely prepared.
In Jewish tradition when a wedding was drawing closer much time was spent in preparation for the event and the feast that would follow, of which preparation all 10 of the virgins were involved in. As the day approached the bride would stay at her home with her family/friends and the bridegroom would stay at his home with his family/friends and finish the celebration preparations, which could have lasted hours upon hours. Once the bridegroom had finished, he along with those that were with him would start the procession, call upon the bride once they reached her home and then the bride and her family/friends would join and they would all make their way to the place of the wedding and feast.
Back to the parable, the 10 virgins were waiting for the bridegroom to finish preparations and had fallen asleep. When the bridegroom was heard coming at the unlikely hour of 12 midnight 5 of the virgins realized that they would not have enough oil for their lamps to light the way. These were women who loved the couple and wanted to be part in the celebration, not just random people off the street, but loved ones. They had made many preparations for the celebration, they waited all hours of the night for the bridegroom but none the less they were not Completely Prepared with enough oil. They quickly asked the other 5 who had brought enough oil if they could borrow some, to which the reply was "Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves." Matthew 25 However, once these women returned from purchasing more oil the procession had left and the door to the celebrations had been shut.
The thing that I have learned to most from this journey and the parable is that often times we put a great deal of time into preparing ourselves and our families but when it comes to the little things the physical things: food storage, staying out of debt, saving money, we forget that we must do those things ALSO to be completely prepared. We are not expected to do it all at once but it is a journey, here a little, there a little. But, we have been counciled time and time again by our prophets to prepare ourselves that I think that often times we forget that they are talking to us and not just everyone else.
I also know that for me the thought of food storage is a little overwhelming, expensive, and "where am I going to put it?" comes to mind. However, through this journey I have seen that the Lord will provide a way if I am willing to listen and submit. "...
prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it." Malachi 3:10
In answer to the question "If you were part of the Parable of the 10 virgins which one of the virgins would you be and why?" I would have to say that I would hope that I would have enough oil for my lamp. I know that my preparations are not complete but I am diligently working on "having enough oil," physically and spiritually. But this I know to be true, the Lord will provide if we are willing to ask, listen, and act so that we might be prepared when he calls upon us.

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

I believe it's the "little things" that will in the very near future prove to be the "huge" things that are essential to staying alive! I know I haven't been posting responses to your questions, but I want to and hope I can find time between messy diapers and discplining Cameron to do so! Thanks for the thought provoking questions and we really should get together if we do infact stop in Overton (where my aunt and uncle live) in August. Any chance you'll ever come to Mesa? Moving here isn't a bad idea because I think we could be GREAT friends!

Alli said...

You are so amazing, Lace. I love your response. I wish I could be at your Relief Society lesson on Sunday!

{B}dreamy said...

You are indeed an amazing girl! Sorry I didn't participate this week... but I'm afraid I would be the one who forgot to have some extra oil. And that, my dear, pains my heart. I look to your example for how I can be better prepared. Thank you my dear, for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Great comments Dolly...the key is not so much in the accomplishment as it is the journey....the Lord only needs our effort...which many times is far less than what is needed...He then makes up the rest.

Keep up the good work....