Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Tender Mercies of the Lord


On Saturday Beckam had his first CAT scan and was such a trooper. I was so nervous going into the appointment as visions of tears and fear ran though my head however Beckam quickly calmed my fears as he did not make a peep the whole time. He spent the 15 minutes in the machine with his binki in his mouth and looking around at all the different lights. I was so proud of him and was relieved to have a good beginning to what I think will be a long journey.
The CT results came back on Monday but I had to wait and wait and wait until Tuesday to actually talk to the doctor and have my fears confirmed. Beckam has been diagnosed with craniosynostosis.


Craniosynostosis is a term that refers to the early closing of one or more of the sutures of an infant's head. The skull is normally composed of bones which are separated by sutures. As an infant's brain grows, open sutures allow the skull to expand and develop a relatively normal head shape. If one or more of the sutures has closed early, it causes the skull to expand in the direction of the open sutures.

In sagittal synostosis, the sagittal suture is closed. As a result, the infant's head does not expand in width but grows long and narrow to accommodate the growing brain. The sagittal suture is the most common single suture involved in craniosynostosis. The incidence of sagittal synostosis in the population is approximately 1 in 4200 births. Males are affected about three times as often as females.

I had accepted the fact that this was the case, had a good cry about it and then moved on feeling like I could handle it. However, once that call came in a new dose of reality washed over me and I felt sick, mad, overwhelmed, and most of all sad for my little baby.


The pediatrician told me that he wanted Beckam seen by a neurosurgeon by the end of the day or the next morning so I spent the day trying to track down the doctor I was to see and only ending up with disappointing and overwhelming results. I had been scheduled for a month out and was told that was my only option. As the fear that my little one could possibly be in pain clawed at the back of my mind I had to allow myself to allow the Lord to comfort my emotional pain and accept the fact that all I could do was hurry up and wait.
By the time morning came I had found peace in waiting and decided to just enjoy my Beckam for the next month. However, I soon got another dose of reality when the neurosurgeons office called and said that the doctor had an opening and wanted to see us right away. I had once again, naively, thought that I had moved past the emotion but was quickly put back into reality as another warm stream of tears came. After the tears dried and a lengthy prayer was said I was able to pull myself together and once again place my faith in the Lords hands.


I was nervous but calm walking into the neurosurgeons office and relieved to finally get some solid answers. I was pleasantly surprised with how friendly he and all of his staff were. I spent almost an hour talking out all of our options with him and finding great comfort in his knowledge, confidence, and willingness to explain all of the inns and outs of the procedure. I found out that Beckam is not in any pain at the moment nor does he expect him to experience much pain afterwards. Becks will have to have surgery in which the doctor will open up his skull and remove some bone therefore allowing his brain and head to grow in the proper fashion. He will experience blood loss and as a result have to stay in the hospital for about 3 days. The doctor wants to wait until he is 4 months old to do the surgery so we are planning on October being yet another leg to this journey.

As I have walked this journey I have had many ups, downs, and in betweens. I have had moments when I have asked "why my baby" but also on the other hand also have had moments when I have exclaimed, "we are so lucky this is not worse!" It has been my constant prayer that we would find the right doctor, the one that could help him have the opportunity to accomplish his mission here on this Earth and I know that the Lord has lead us to the right man. How blessed we are to have modern technology and how amazing the human body is to be able to repair itself with a little bit of assistance. How thankful I am for the tender mercies of the Lord. For his never ending peace and comfort. For his constant guidance in even the seemingly unimportant things in life. I am sure that there will be more tears in the future but for the moment I feel His arms wrapped tightly around me, my little Beckam, and my family and know that it will all be okay.


On a lighter note, Cade started preschool this week and has loved it! I struggled with knowing if I should put him in school or wait another year so he doesn't have to go to preschool for 3 years but he was so ready that neither of us could wait any longer. He insisted on taking the stick to school and I insisted that he leave in in the car, compromise, gotta love it! I cannot believe that my babies are growing up so fast! It is amazing how quickly time flies by but how lucky I am to have these 2 little boys to brighten those crazy, fly by days.

14 comments:

Clarissa Meegan said...

Lacey, you are quite the lady...and always so good to see the best in things. We will be praying for little Beckam and your whole family.

Burnett Family said...

We will keep Little Beckam and your family in out prayers. Glad to hear you were able to get into the Dr. sooner than you were first told! Cade looks so grown up in those 1st day of school pics. Glad he is enjoying it!

AshleyJ said...

Lacey, It's amazing how the lord hears your prayers, and kind of gives you "pockets of comfort" in different times in the trial, he can't always take everything away but some how he gives you "just enough" to get through it.I think that's the only way we can grow, and it helps us to remember how much we truly are dependent on our father for everything. It's reasuring to know that Beckem is not in pain and probably won't be in much pain afterwards, I will have to talk to you about what surgery method he chose to do. October will be here soon,and what a blessing to have found a good doctor. With your faith and Beckem's closeness with the lord, I know you guys can make it through this :)

michellecluff said...

wow. I hope everything goes well. know that your little baby as well as your family is in our prayers. your boys are so beautiful!

alliehoopes said...

You always have such an inspiring and uplifting view of things....everything! I hope all goes well through this.

The Probert Family said...

Lace, rely on your faith. Beckam will be okay, and Heavenly Father has already blessed you with so much comfort. He'll take care of your little one. I love you and we'll be praying for you.

Ashley said...

Hey there girl, you are awesome! I did want to tell you that I know another little baby that had this same exact procedure a few years ago and he is thriving and healed quickly! I'll be thinking about you these next few weeks.

{B}dreamy said...

Your tears are not the only ones flowing! Man alive my dear, you are my idol. Way to be so faithful. I'm sorry that you and your beautiful family have to go through this, but am so grateful that things aren't worse and that you have found the right people to help. As always, you're all in our prayers. *B

Joyce said...

Oh Lace-
Your strength is so amazing. I was balling reading your post. We love you guys so much and will be praying for little Beckam and the whole family.

Julie T. said...

You are an amazing mom. I don't really know you all that well, but I love reading about how strong you are in such a scary time. Our family will continue to pray for all of you!

ohiolanges said...

Lacey,

I am thankful for your testimony. We will be praying for your family. We know you have a lot of support and love to hold you up during this challenging time.

On a lighter note - I think I have seen Aaron give the look that Cade is giving in the last picture! So handsome!

much love,
anne

Ashley K. said...

Hang in there. I know easier said then done. Thinking of you.

Ash

Valarie said...

Lacey,
Hi! This is Valarie Butchko. I found your blog through the Langes tonight just blog hopping because I was bored. I'm not sure if you know me. I went to church with your family in Ohio, but am now in Florida.
My oldest, Mikaily, had to have brainsurgery when she was just 4 weeks old. I have been there. I know just how you feel. Overhwelmed doesn't even come close to describing it.
Babies are amazing. They can spring back form this kind of thing like it's nothing. He has amazing parents and sounds like a very capable doctor. I applaud you for having such a wonderful outlook. If you have any questions or ever need to talk about anything. Please feel free to email me at v_butchko@hotmail.com
Our prayers are with your family.

Camille said...

Wow, it sounds like you guys have been through a lot lately. I'm glad things are looking up, and way to go looking on the bright side. Beckham looks like such a sweet little baby, I bet you are loving every second of snuggling up with him. Let me know if there is anything I can do. I'm just around the corner, you know.