Monday, January 14, 2008

The Lord Works In Mysterious Ways!

I decided that in effort to save a little money after the holidays and make our family time more meaningful that we would start our weekly, "Friday night pizza night." So instead of going to a restaurant and ordering food for Cade that he usually doesn't eat and also fighting with him to stay sitting we just ordered pizza, his favorite, and played games as a family. It was a little difficult to find a game that a 2-year-old can not only comprehend but that the mom and dad like playing too. However, my mom had a stroke of genius and suggested the Hungry Hungry Hippo game when I was talking to her a few days back. Cade loved it and so did we. It brought out a little competition between Jared and Cade and it was hilarious! Cade has talked about his hippo game all weekend and cant wait to pull it out again on friday!

Cade finally got to wear his Christmas suit. He was sick the sunday before Christmas and we were gone the sunday following so I was so excited to deck him out. I didn't get a great picture because it was FREEZING and windy before we went to church and lets face it, they never look as cute coming home as they do when you leave to church. So here is a quick shot of his "missionary suit" as he calls it. He likes to stand up in sacrament, wave, and say "Hi missionaries!!" as soon as he spots them. It is really cute and endearing unless it is after the meeting has started.

I am here to testify that the Lord works in mysterious ways. Last Sunday before church I had made a new commitment to myself that I was going to be more involved and get to know the sisters better. I was so excited and pumped for the new year of sunday school and Relief society lessons and couldnt wait to teach from the Joseph Smith manuel. I couldn't believe that Cade looked so big in nursery now that the older and VERY rambunctious kids had moved onto primary. All I had heard was horror stories about these little ones so I was glad to see them move on. I was on cloud 9 walking out of church...that was until a member of the bishopric chased me down and said that he needed to talk to me. I honestly just wanted to run to my car and pretend that I never heard him. We walked back into the building and whole time my stomach was in knots! As we sat down the dreaded words came out of his mouth... "we would like to extend to you a new calling..." I had to do everything in my power to not cry, I LOVE my calling and did not want to leave Relief Society! He then went on to tell me that they wanted me to teach the Sunbeams...the new little ones...the ones I was glad to see leave nursery....they were now MINE! Did they not understand that I have a toddler at home that I am with ALL day EVERY day and 2 hours on sunday was the only time I didnt have to take care of a little one? I accepeted but left the building bawling. The whole way home cade kept asking, "what is wrong mom...?" It was really sweet but still didn't stop the tears.
After A LOT of soul searching and prayer I came to understand that this is what I need, this is what the Lord needs, and this is what these little sunbeams need. As the week went on I continued to prepare my lesson, gather toys and crayons and my nerves continued to get more frazzled. For some reason I can get up in a room filled with sisters and teach with no problem but the idea of 6 3-year-olds scared me to death. However, I must say that sunday was a success. I LOVED it! The kids were so good and so much fun. I loved listening to them, playing with them, attempting to teach them but mostly loving them. As soon as I entered that primary room I was consumed with so much love for these little sunbeams and all of a sudden the wiggling, the moving chairs, the standing up and sitting down became endearing not frustrating. It is amazing how the Lord works and that He knows exactly what we need and when we need it...even if it takes a while for us to come around!

Here is the latest tummy watch. It is really for my mom and grandma. I have had several requests from those far away for an update. So you can see... 15 weeks and already poking out. You gotta love it! Cade also always loved to get in on the action!

9 comments:

alliehoopes said...

Lily's birthday is soon and I know one of the things we'll be getting her now :) I forgot all about that game and she would love it too.

I've done sunbeams 2 or 3 different times. Remember the great days for the days that are not so much because they will happen.

We also just got a joint calling (with my husband I mean) to be gospel doctrine teachers. It really answers so many things that I'd been asking for and gives us just exactly the right push to get studying together what we should be doing more of anyway.

Anonymous said...

I could kiss it and say "HELLO BABY. You look so cute I love it, thanksfor showing me your tummy, and Cade-O"s tummy. I can't wait to kiss your tummy and feel the baby move.
Tell Jared I love him.
Gramdma

{B}dreamy said...

Look at that cute belly of yours! You make pregnancy look so good. And I'm also impressed by how beautiful your house is... totally green with envy over here!

As for your new calling, I know exactly how you feel! I too cried, a lot, when they called me to Primary. But as you said, "the Lord works in mysterious way!" You're an amazing woman Lace, and a great example. Oh, and good luck! *B

Durham said...

I just love you Lacey. Thanks for all your thoughts about those crazy Sunbeams. Thanks for being honest, especially knowing one of their moms would probably read your post! I'm glad things went well on Sunday. I feel so lucky that Andrew is in your class. Also, by the way, no one would know you are pregnant if you didn't tell them, you are so small.

Ashley said...

POKING OUT?!?!? You are not the least bit. You look awesome!!

I teach Primary too but luckily teach the "older" kids. (10 year olds). I do look at the young sunbeams and think...."they would be fun to teach." I'm sure they called you because they knew you could handle that age!! You'll do a great job.

And the pictures of your family night playing Hungry Hungry Hippos makes me want to go buy that game RIGHT NOW. Liv would love it.

Burnett Family said...

Carson just loved sunbeams on Sunday! He was telling us about the little egg, the big body, and of course the string cheese and animal crackers! He said, "how did the teacher know I love to eat that stuff?" The kids are going to love having you for their teacher!
Your tiny tummy is so cute! How does that little baby fit in there?

Alli said...

You are such an example, Lace. I love you. Your tummy looks so dang cute!! I love it!

michellecluff said...

When my dad was released as bishop, he actually requested to teach the sunbeams because they were a "breath of fresh air" to him. They are so sweet and innocent and will usually listen to everything you say and just soak it up. I hope you continute to enjoy it. You're such a beautiful pregnant woman. If it was a guarantee that I'd look like you my whole pregnancy and have amazingly cute kids like Cade everytime, I'd probably never stop!

Camille said...

My belly doesn't look that small, and I"m not pregnant!! Not fair girl!!! Okay, things are pretty calm around here now, when do you want to hang out? Early next week? I'm up for anything!