Tuesday, March 3, 2009

26 Things I Learned in my 25th Year of Life


I have spent a great deal of time today thinking about what this last year held for me. New callings, different experiences, a bigger family, lessons learned, lessons missed, hospital visits, knowledge shared, knowledge gained. So many unique experiences, some of them I saw coming and others I did not. None the less, I have become who I am because of these and many other lessons and experiences I have had along the way.

1. Laundry and dishes multiply by a crazy amount the more people you add to your family, no matter how small they are.
2. Pay several months in advance for preschool.
3. You don't need a trainer to work out but it makes it more fun to have one around. As soon as you stop with the trainer, the gym gets really boring.
4. Searching the scriptures daily can really change your attitude.
5. Once you have something about your child figured out they throw you another curve ball just to confuse you and keep you on your toes.
6. Owning a house is really not all it is cracked up to be.
7. The best part about having 2 kids is watching them learn how to really love each other.
8. "Spray and Wash" is an essential item in every mothers laundry room.
9. Buying clothes in off seasons is much cheaper and a lot more fun to pull them out of the "stash" when they are needed.
10. Nothing can compensate for hard work and saving money.
11. The things that are actually in our control are really the only things that matter. (spiritual, service, attitude, faith, hard work, etc.)
12. Little boys always stink... no matter how little or big they are.
13. When you find a pair of jeans that fit right and you love, buy 2 of them, it will save you money and headache in the long run.
14. Don't ever risk more than you can afford to lose.
15. The Lord always has a plan to teach us exactly what we need to learn. Whether we think we need to learn it or not.
16. Teaching sunbeams is physically exhausting but one of the most rewarding callings.
17. Texting is so convenient.
18. I love serving in the Young Women, it is definitely my favorite calling.
19. Tivo is the only way to watch TV.
20. The only time I make it into a picture is when Cade is taking them (picture above) or I am pregnant.
21. A little bit of alone time every day can go a long way.
22. As soon as I try to do things on my own, without going to my Father in Heaven for guidance, I fail.
23. Money might make life easier but it doesn't make it happier.
24. I want to be a photographer so much. I keep toying with the idea of starting my own business. The biggest thing standing in my way.... myself.
25. No matter how much you brush and floss, if you don't go to the dentist for 5 years you are bound to have some problems.
26. The more gratitude I allow to fill my heart the brighter and more fulfilling my days are.

My list could continue and become more specific with every person, relationship, experience, trial, happiness, and insight I have experienced this past year. However, it the best way to accurately portray this year is with 2 words, "thank you."
Thank you to my Heavenly Father for his patience and trust in me.
Thank you to my sweet husband for opening up a whole new world to me and allowing me to experience it but also making it possible for me to be myself.
Thank you to my boys for molding me and stretching me in ways I never knew possible.
Thank you to my family and friends for your continued support, prayers, examples, laughs, and insights.

Here is to the last 26 years and looking forward to many more... Cheers!

15 comments:

AshleyJ said...

I absolutely loved that post Lacey! I hope you had a wonderful Birthday today, and I could have kept reading 100 more things you have learned! Happy Birthday again!
Ps. Once you have Photoshop you can definitely have your own business as a photographer! You would get lots of business :)

{B}dreamy said...

I love every post you write... happy birthday my beautiful (inside AND out) friend! I consider myself blessed to know you :) Hope this next year, and every year thereafter, is even better! *B

Alli said...

Happy birthday! I loved your list. I love the way you look at things, Lace. You have such great insights. You are so inspirational.

I hope you had a great day!

The Mrs. said...

Can you please make another ist with more things. I loved reading it. That list brought me lots of smiles today.

I would definitely hire you to be my personal photographer. Think how fun that would be??

Happy Birthday! My goal is to be more like you by my birthday in September....I gave my self a lot of time.

Jamee

alliehoopes said...

Good good list. I've become a scroll-to-the-pictures blog reader but paused to read those after the first few. And happy birthday! I think I remember one of these past years seeing that ours are right close...mine's the 4th. Good month :)

michellecluff said...

I hope you had a Fabulous birthday! You deserve it!! We love and miss you guys!!

Durham said...

I think I'm a day late, but Happy Birthday! I loved this post.

Daynes Family said...

What a cute picture! Hope you had a fabulous birthday!

Shannan said...

Lacey, Happy belated. i tried calling you last night , but got the voice mail. I hope you had a fun filled or relaxing day. You are such an example to me of a wonderful mother. You amaze me and I just wanted to let you know that I love you and think about you often. Plus, you are totally beautiful.

Ashley said...

Happy Birthday girl{a day late}! You are amazing and your pictures are so good! You could totally take pictures for people I think you should make the leap! From some of the things on your list I realized we are a lot alike!

Kelsey Ann said...

So I just looked at the date on the calendar and I missed your birthday. I am so sorry baby, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I hope it was such a special day, you honestly deserve it!

Grandma Vicki said...

Lacey you have learned more in your 26 years than I have in my 69 I am so proud of you.. You have grown into a wonder young woman, wife, mother, daughter, sister, granddaughter, and daughter of God.

The Summerhays Crew said...

I suck as a friend but happy belated birthday! I totally thought it was today and I had it on my calendar to be the first one to call you up and sing to you, but then I realized late last night (hence the text t 11:30pm) that I was very wrong! I'm sorry, but dinner tonight will make up for it right??

Burnett Family said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HOPE YOU HAD A SPECIAL DAY.

Maria Ison said...

I love reading your blog since it's beautiful and so well written but this particular post has to be my favorite. I enjoyed every single moment that I spent reading this. You definitely should look into your own photography business. I love looking at your photos and have to admit that I'm a tad jealous of your work. =P I know I'd hire you.