Friday, August 7, 2009

So, I started off tonight thinking I was the coolest mom ever...


Friday night and we decide to spend some quality time with the kiddos. Star Wars: Clone Wars is playing in the outdoor theater and so we assume the boys, or Cade, would be enraptured with the light savers, droids, shooting, and action.

We show up with our favorite blankets, yummy ice cream with all the toppings and all the excitement you can muster out of a 3-year-old... that is A LOT for mine. We grab the last open spot in the back and settle in.

10 minutes into our experience I start to panic and think that the movie is actually Mary Poppins. I figure I would give it a few minutes and see if Cade catches on. Just as that thought finishes he looks at me and, loudly, says, "HEY, this ISNT star wars!" I tell him that I knew that and that I think that I might have made a mistake.
15 minutes into the experience... Phew! Just a VERY LONG preview. Cade smiles, "You DIDNT make a mistake mom!! I am so proud of you!" Movie starts.
1 minute into the movie. Cade is humming, loudly, the Star Wars theme music and cheering with all the other boys in the crowd, "Star Wars is SOOOO cool!"
3 minutes into the movie. Ice cream gone.
5 minutes into the movie. Off to get some popcorn.
6 minutes into the movie. Popcorn spilled.
10 minutes into the movie. More popcorn.... gone.
20 minutes into the movie. Cade thinks that he is a Jedi knight. He is swinging his pretend light saver. Making gun noises, why can boys always make those noises!? and totally into the movie. I really am the coolest.
23 minutes into the movie. Beckam is screaming that he cannot push some ladies stroller around. Okay, its all good. We are outside. We don't have to be quiet the WHOLE time.
Getting irritated looks.
27 minutes into the movie. Jared takes Beckam for a walk.
28 minutes into the movie. Cade cries that he did not get to go with Jared. What was I thinking!!
35 minutes into the movie. All is settled. Cade is once again interested in the movie.
38 minutes into the movie. Cade is bored. I see families starting to pack up and leave. They are the smart ones!
40 minutes into the movie. Cade finds a friend. sweet little girl. they play. they laugh. they entertain each other. Okay, maybe this was an okay idea.
43 minutes into the movie. Another friend finds Cade. nice little boy. they both think they are jedis. they pretend to have light savers. they are not very good at not "accidently" hitting each other.
44 minutes into the movie. They are on the ground wrestling. Seriously, what is it with boys and wrestling!
45 minutes into the movie. he is really going to hurt that boy! Cade is back on the blanket with us.
47 minutes into the movie. They are all playing tag. We ask Cade to be a little bit more quiet. Jared looks at me and asks why our child is SO loud. Hmmmm, have you met his dad?
50 minutes into the movie. We remind Cade to be quiet, for the 10th time.
52 minutes into the movie. Beckam is eating all the popcorn that people have spilled on the ground. Gross!
55 minutes into the movie. Boys are on the ground brawling again.
56 minutes into the movie. Cade is back on the blanket. Has he even watched any of this movie!?
60 minutes into the movie. Tag... again. Cades first friend is now playing with Beckam. she is so sweet. this is such a long movie!
65-80 minutes into the movie. Brawling. blanket. brawling. blanket. brawling. blanket.
83 minutes into the movie. Cade is back on the blanket. somehow his attention was pulled back into the movie. Beckam is trying so hard to go to sleep. Just let this movie end already. do they really expect kids to get this movie!?
90 minutes into the movie. We are all excitedly humming the theme song to Star Wars. Cade says, "that was the best movie ever!"

In the end, was I the coolest mom ever? maybe. maybe not.
Could I have gotten away with turing on a cartoon for 30 minutes and sending them to bed? probably.
Would I be able to laugh at our experience of "going to a movie" if we didn't go. nope.
Was it worth it? maybe.
Will we do it again next week? probably.
Moms really do a lot to be cool for a 3-year-old.

6 comments:

The Mrs. said...

HA!
I love your point on how we, as moms, try so hard to be cool to our three year olds.

And really we could probably do much less, and they would think we were just as cool.

Oh well, now we have something to laugh about!

Love your life, and your example!
Jamee
xoxo

Clarissa Meegan said...

LOVE IT!

Pat and I attempted the same thing a few weeks ago---except inside a theater. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. 2 year olds and theaters don't work, at least your were outside.

And you have my vote for the coolest mom ever award.

Grandma Vicki said...

Wow, you really are a cool mother! Cade and Beckham are so lucky to have a mom that loves them enough to see the joy in the experience.

Kaydee said...

I LOVE reading your blog! You are totally the coolest mom ever! I love how you document your children's lives, you will be so greatful when you look back on these posts. What an absolute cutie you are!

Alli said...

Holy crap! I am laughing so hard. This is hilarious! I love that Cade said he was proud of you... that's so cute!

I think I laughed the most when Jared asked why Cade was so loud. In fact, I'm still laughing hysterically...

Camille said...

ha ha ha.... Oh I SO know what you are talking about. But I would have to say you are pretty darn cool. Sorry we couldn't meet up with you guys, my phone was dead with a missing charger for a couple days and it was way too late by the time I got your message. Next time? We miss you guys!