Monday, August 31, 2009

Imprinted on my Heart

{yes, this is a VERY old picture... but it works}
My heart was imprinted tonight with a memory, an understanding, an insight that will be there throughout the eternities.
I had the honor and opportunity to watch and listen to my sweet husband give our little man a blessing before his first day of school. I was always fortunate enough to receive a fathers blessing before the beginning of a new school year, when confronting a problem, or just when I needed a little extra guidance and direction.
In a Priesthood blessing a servant of the Lord exercises the Priesthood, as moved upon by the Holy Ghost, to call upon the powers of heaven for the benefit of the person being blessed. In a blessing a worthy priesthood holder speaks the words of God, he gives the direction of God, he explains the love of God, he pronounces the blessings of God.
Although I have been a recipient of many of theses blessings, none have left the print on my heart as the one I witnessed tonight. My heart was filled with an overwhelming amount of love as I listened to the sweet and simple counsel given to my son. "Teach the other kids about Jesus by the way that you share." "Be a good friend to all those in your class, even if they look different than you." "You will continue to learn how to become a missionary as you are a good listener, good helper, and good friend."
As the blessing came to an end I watched as Cade looked up at Jared and threw his arms around him. My heart burst and the memory sunk deep into my heart and soul as I watched Jareds silent tears and heard him say, "you are my best buddy. You will always be my best buddy. I am so proud of you." I knew that in a few short years that scene would once again play out in front of my eyes. However, it will not be as a 4-year-old boy leaves to preschool, it will be as a 19-year-old preparing man leaves on his mission. A mission to share the good news of Christ. A mission that will change him from a boy to a man. A mission that will break my heart to send him on but also make me burst with joy. A mission that will share the truth.
As I watched a father and son embrace I was once again reminded of so many levels of love. The love I have for my child. The love my child has for his daddy. The love our Father in Heaven has for each of us.
Although life gets rough, children get exhausting, finances gets overwhelming, time gets shorter and lists get longer there is nothing.... NOTHING greater than knowing that God exists, He knows us, He is watching over us and mostly, He loves us. He loves us. He loves us. What an overwhelming, humbling, and empowering knowledge. To know that no matter how good, how bad, how ugly, in the end what really matters is that God loves us and that He will Always be there... waiting to embrace us. Waiting to say, "You are my buddy. You will always be my buddy. I am so proud of you."

9 comments:

The Mrs. said...

Im always grateful for your testimony Lacey-

Thanks
Jamee
xoxo

Grandma Vicki said...

I wept as read your beautiful words, I could picture the moment and see Jared and Cade and feel the spirit that you felt. Thank you for being able to express your feelings and testimony so eloquently. I love you all, especially Jared for the good man and worthy he is.

The Summerhays Crew said...

Thank you for making me cry! You have a great testimony and a great Husband. You should feel very blessed. Thanks for your friendship too :)

Kristie said...

Just what I needed to hear on an emotional day!

Alli said...

This is the best post I have ever read. Wow, Lace. What an amazing experience. You're awesome.

TulsaT said...

What a beautiful post.

Betsy said...

You and your little family are soooo amazing! Thanks for sharing.

Shannan said...

Lacey, I was in tears reading this. You are such an amazing writer and I love this experience you witnessed. I believe what you said to be so true and everlasting. I love you and you are an amazing, wonderful mother, wife and sister. I just hope to see more of you. Keep your posts going, I love reading them.

{B}dreamy said...

So beautiful You are one of my most favoritest, and the most beautifulest, people ever! Thanks, as always, for your lovely insight and example as a disciples of Christ.

Now come move down to this part of the desert so we can be neighbors! *B