Monday, June 15, 2009

To be a Lady



I honestly and truly should be in bed right now... I have to be up in 5 hours.  However, here I sit typing away, go figure.  Not much exciting is happening around here.  We are definitely in the throws of summer complete with traveling, summer camps, swimming lessons and the such.  I feel like life is one great big juggling act at the moment however I am so thankful that I have my sweet family there to help keep everything up in the air and working smoothly.
I cannot believe that Beckam will be 1 in a matter of days... baffling!  Time goes by so quickly however at the same time it feels like it stands so still.
I have been working on a workshop that I will be teaching at girls camp this week.  They asked me to teach about self presentation.  I have allowed this topic to swirl around in my head and the thing that has become so apparent to me is how easy it is to allow clothes, attitudes, language, etc. to mask who we are and how we feel inside.  How easy it is to get caught up in what is "in style," "popular," "normal," that we forget to hold on and stay true to who we really are on the inside, to allow US to shine through and not what others say should be presented.  
In Proverbs it teaches that the price of a virtuous woman is far above rubies (proverbs 31:10) and then it continues on to say, "Strength and honor are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come" (Proverbs 31:25).  What a beautiful and inspiring teaching.  
Strength and honor. 
 I want to be strong and honorable.  Not only strong and honorable but a strong and honorable Woman.  What an honor and a gift it is to be a woman.  
We have the opportunity to partake of the many pleasures of the world.  The Lord has given us many comforts, leisures, and perks of living in the modern day.  Things that are fun and good to partake in.  However, along with partaking it is in our hands to not allow ourselves to BE taken but to clothe ourselves in strength and honor.  To avoid the distractions and still Present ourselves in a way that is becoming.  In our dress, in our words, in our actions and then we will "rejoice in time to come."
What a blessing and an honor it is to know that God lives.  To know that I am a daughter of Him.  To know that it is a blessing to be a woman.  To know that I can be strong and honorable at all times, in all things, and in all places. 
What a joy.

7 comments:

Clarissa Meegan said...

I just love you. You have such an endearing way with words when it comes to spiritual things.

Beautiful family picture.

Leah said...

The young women are lucky to have you, that is such an important value for them to learn.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Becks is going to be 1! You have such an amazing attitude and I love it. Your family is amazing as well.

Alli said...

I love this post. Your workshop going to be absolutely wonderful. The young woman are so blessed to have you as their leader.

Side note: I can't believe Becks will be one! Give him hugs and kisses from me!

Grandma Vicki said...

You are a night owl. I envy the girls at camp, you are a true leader and they are the beneficiaries of your leadership. You have a wonderful spirit and you know just how to utilize and share it. Have fun at camp.

Happy first birthday to Beckham!

sillyhaywardfamily said...

your young women are very blessed to have you !! Have so much fun at girl's camp, and I will c you in 4 days!!! :)

Camille said...

Love it, cute cute cute cute fam. Are you back yet?!