Thursday, November 20, 2008

"I Hope They Call Me on A Mission,,,"


( Halloween 2007)
On Sunday we were getting ready for church and talking about my brother who just received his mission call to Santa Rosa, California. Cade has always loved the missionaries and quickly jumped into the conversation and says,
C: "I love missionaries, mom"
Me: "I know. I do too. Will you be a missionary one day?"
C: "But mom... I am a missionary now."
It made me smile that he has such a tender heart and such a desire to serve a mission. I thought that Cade had a concept of what a missionary was since we have had many dinners with them, see them at church every Sunday, and talk about them often. However, we then had this conversation and I changed my mind:
We were diving to the store and saw a group of missionaries
Me: "Look, Cade, the missionaries"
C: "I want to go on a mission mom."
Me: "I know, sweetie, one day you will get to go. Do you know what missionaries do?"
C: "Yep, they give people food and then cover it up for them."
Me: "Hmmm, really? When did you see the missionaries do that?"
C: "At church mom. They give us bread and then cover it up."
Me: ::laughing to myself:: "No, sweetheart, those are the young men. Missionaries go to different places, knock on peoples doors and teach them about Jesus. Did you know that there are people that don't know who Jesus is?"
C: "Ohhh. Well, I want to go on a mission but what will I say."
Me: "You will get to teach people about how much Jesus loves them. Should mommy and daddy teach you how to be a missionary so when you get big you will know how?"
C: "Yeah mom, that is a great idea!"
Me: "Sounds good. Where do you think that you will go on your mission?"
C: "To Harry and Ben's house (his cousins that live down the street)
Me: ::laughing:: "Sounds good to me."
C: "And mom, Ryan (my brother) is going to be my missionary friend (companion) too, and we will ride bikes, okay."
Straight from the mouths of babes.
I love this little boy!

3 comments:

Clarissa Meegan said...

How precious is this?!

AshleyJ said...

I looked over at Cade on Sunday and sure enough he was watching intently the boys covering the sacrament table, I just had to smile at it. This picture of him is so cute, it will be at his mission farewell! I hope you have a good Thanksgiving with all Jared's family coming down!!!!

Kristie said...

Oh he's so cute! What a sweet conversation!!